Independent Producer Series
Are you interested in producing a new play written by a North Carolinian playwright? Are you interested in producing your own play? The Cary Playwrights’ Forum can be a co-producer for your project.
As a resident cultural organization, The Cary Playwrights’ Forum has a good standing relationship with the Town of Cary and receives discounts on facility rental rates. If your project is thoroughly planned and well-conceived, CPF can use its resources to help you produce a play in the Town of Cary. This includes the Cary Arts Center main theatre, The Cary Theatre, and the Page-Walker House.
If you are interested, send the board chair (Marina Enslen <email@example.com>) a brief ‘pitch’ describing your project. The pitch should describe “who”, “what”, “when”, “where”, and “how” – all the details necessary to explain your project, and how you plan to accomplish it. Your proposal will then be approved or denied by the CPF board. It is likely that at least one CPF board member or producer will contact you for further consultation before a board decision is finalized. If your proposal is approved, CPF will draw up a contract to establish expectations for both parties. It is possible that CPF can supply additional funding for the project, but that is not a guarantee.
- Pass on to the producer the discounted rate CPF receives for TOC facility rentals.
- Advertise the production and performances in the CPF monthly newsletter, Facebook page, and website.
- Assist in distributing posters, fliers, and postcards to the Town of Cary (including all community centers and libraries). It is expected for the producer to prepare and provide the printed materials.
- Reserve TOC facilities for auditions, rehearsals, and performances. Commonly used facilities include the Cary Arts Center (main stage and classrooms), The Cary Theatre, the Page-Walker A&HC, etc. The producer will be consulted on production schedule.
- Set up ticketing for the production. Tickets will be sold through the TOC box offices and online through eTix. Mobile box office is also provided before shows.
- Write a check to the producer for their share of the ticket revenue once it is processed through the TOC box offices. If applicable, the security refund deposit will be included.
- Survey of all participants after the production, including the producers.
You (as the Producer) will:
- Provide scripts, budget, and project plan to the CPF board for approval.
- Compensate CPF for any direct expenses such as room rentals for their production (before the payment is due) or directly pay any amounts due to TOC or other vendors.
- Provide preliminary marketing materials (posters, fliers, and postcards) ASAP in advance.
- Be responsible for additional advertising (not listed above).
- Be responsible for printing programs and other material.
- Donate a portion of the proceeds to CPF (per contract).
- Acknowledge CPF in all printed materials. Such materials must be reviewed and approved by CPF before the first show.
- Provide funds for the refundable security deposit.
- Organize and plan all aspects of the production including script selection, auditions, rehearsals, and performances.
- Forward a contact email for all participants in the production so CPF can survey the participants about their experience.