Call for Entries – Bar Plays 5.0!
CPF is happy to announce the return of the Bar Plays for the fifth year in a row. As in the past, this is your chance to have a play enthusiastically received through the beer goggles of our slightly inebriated, discerning, lovable audiences. The production will be held evenings at our usual watering hole, Fortnight in Cary, on November 12, 13 and 14, 2019 with potential performances at an additional location. Unlike the past, this year’s production will include short plays and short monologues.
Submissions will be accepted until midnight (11:59:59 PM), September 8, 2019. All playwrights will be notified of selections by September 23, 2019.
- Only scripts that meet all criteria will be considered
- Scripts must be set in a bar or restaurant
- Playwrights must be NC residents
- Playwrights may submit up to two short plays AND two monologues
- Scripts must not have been produced in the NC Triangle Area; staged readings or workshops okay
- Musical submissions will be considered if you provide your own accompaniment. Special consideration given to kazoos (jk).
- Scripts must be written as blind submissions; no identifying information
- Scripts must be written in Standard Manuscript Format for Plays (PDF, video, and example)
- Separate page/s should include title, cast of characters with description, setting, and a short synopsis of the play (three sentences tops)
- Diverse or non-specified characters encouraged
- Submit each play as a separate email with the subject heading: Bar Plays 5.0 Submission, <Playwright’s Last Name>, <Play Title>
- Body of email should list
- Title of play
- Playwright’s name
- Phone number
- Email address
- Production history of play
- Musical accompaniment you will provide, if any
- Specific criteria for short plays
- Plays can be up to approximately ten minutes. Please do a table read to ensure length.
- Must have 2 to 4 characters.
- Must have simple black box production values – minimal props, set (tables and chairs provided), etc.
- Specific criteria for monologues
- Monologues should be one to two minutes. Please do table read to ensure length.
- Forgive being obvious but limited to one character
- Simple black box production values required
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
————————— Double Plus ++ —————————
Join our mailing list to be informed of future writing opportunities!
Check out this page for info on submitting for the CPF Radio Hour weekly live show!
Tentative future dates, subject to change, all require the playwright reside in North Carolina:
- x/x/2019: full-length plays for ‘Daughter of Chrysalis’ x 2019!
We had a successful interaction with Tiny Engine Theatre awhile back. Our playwrights will provide such a professional troupe with scenes that have already been through revisions after cold readings. The group will pick scenes that they can cast and would be fun to read; then they’ll share a read-through with us at our regular monthly meeting. The company will share their impressions about the characters and the story; Tiny Engine gave us a delightfully different experience than regular CPF meetings. Interested? Send your revised scripts to email@example.com. In your submission email, include your name, email address, copy of script (pdf), synopsis of character descriptions, and an affirmation if you’ve revised the script since a previous CPF read-through. If you are interested in a particular scene from a larger work to be read, please include any additional information (e.g., earlier pages) that the troupe should know.