The Cary Playwrights Forum is now soliciting scripts for Project Chrysalis, an initiative to develop a new full-length (at least 60 minutes long) play from staged reading to full production! From the submitted plays, a small group of finalists will be showcased in a night of staged readings. Our audiences will then vote for the play they want to see produced in a future CPF stage production! The submission window is now open until January 19th, 2020. Read on for more information.
Call for Readers and Directors
Here is your chance to introduce new, exciting plays to the world! We need readers to review scripts as they are submitted and provide honest feedback. We also need directors for our night of staged readings and a director for the full production of the winning script. Directing positions will be offered to the readers first. You cannot be a reader if you submit a script.
Call for Performers
We will need performers for our night of staged readings. Casting information will be posted shortly after the finalist plays are announced by February 23rd, 2020. We expect to hold auditions the week of March 9th, 2020 and to stage the readings the week of April 6th, 2020. Exact dates will be announced by February 23rd.
- Plays must be submitted by January 19th, 2020 at 11:59:59 PM
- Playwright must be a North Carolina resident.
- Playwright may submit up to two plays.
- Scripts must not have been fully produced in the NC Triangle Area. If there is a history of workshops or readings, please include that information in the submission email.
- Scripts must be written as blind submissions with no identifying information.
- Scripts must be written in Standard Manuscript Format for Plays.
- First one or two pages of the script should include
- Title of play
- List of characters with a brief description of each character
- Short synopsis of the play (no more than six sentences).
- Submit each play as a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: Chrysalis 2020 Submission, <Playwright’s Last Name>, <Play Title>
- Body of submission email must include
- Title of play
- Playwright’s full name
- Phone number
- Email address
- Production history of the play. This includes public and private workshops.
- Plays must be at least 60 minutes long. Note that one page written in Standard Play Manuscript Format is approximate to one minute of stage time.
- Musical submissions will NOT be considered.
- One-person plays will NOT be considered.
- Plays should be possible to stage with 2-6 performers, with double casting allowed. But this is not a requirement.
- Finalist plays will be announced by February 23rd, 2020.
- Playwrights may be contacted for an interview before the finalist plays are announced.
- In April, CPF will produce a night of staged readings comprising of 15-minute excerpts from each of the finalist plays.
- Each staged reading will be prefaced with a short synopsis of the full play.
- The readings will be staged to focus on the scripts. The actors will have scripts at hand and all theatrical elements will be minimized. It is likely that another performer will read stage directions as necessary.
- A small panel of judges will provide their feedback after each excerpt.
- The audience will vote for the script they want to see produced later in 2020.
- The winning play will be announced by April 26th, 2020.
Workshops and a CPF Stage Production
- One play will be selected from the staged readings to be fully produced by the Cary Playwrights’ Forum.
- Details on when and how the play will be staged will be discussed between the playwright and the producer.
- The playwright will be given opportunities to workshop the script before the full production, including one-on-one sessions with fellow North Carolinian playwrights.
- How do you write a full-length play? Write, write, and keep writing!
- Expect your first draft to be bad. No one has to see it. Write it fast and get it done.
- Once you have your first draft – revise, revise, revise until you’re ready to submit.
- Contact us if you need guidance or resources. We are here to help!
Producer: Christian O’Neal <email@example.com>
————————— Double Plus ++ —————————
Join our mailing list to be informed of future writing opportunities!
Check out this page for info on submitting for the CPF Radio Hour weekly live show!
We had a successful interaction with Tiny Engine Theatre awhile back. Our playwrights will provide such a professional troupe with scenes that have already been through revisions after cold readings. The group will pick scenes that they can cast and would be fun to read; then they’ll share a read-through with us at our regular monthly meeting. The company will share their impressions about the characters and the story; Tiny Engine gave us a delightfully different experience than regular CPF meetings. Interested? Send your revised scripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your submission email, include your name, email address, copy of script (pdf), synopsis of character descriptions, and an affirmation if you’ve revised the script since a previous CPF read-through. If you are interested in a particular scene from a larger work to be read, please include any additional information (e.g., earlier pages) that the troupe should know.