“New Plays” – 2016 WORKSHOP and Staged Reading of two new full-length works by NC writers
Now casting actors for all roles. Auditions are Tuesday, May 10th, 7:00–9pm at the Cary Arts Center – Paul Cooper Room. Rehearsal and performance dates are listed below for each play.
Auditions will consist of cold readings (‘sides’) from the script. Arrive up-to-30 minutes early if you want to look the sides over beforehand. If you are unable to come to the audition but are interested in acting in the production, OR if you may like to volunteer (e.g. we’ll need ushers on May 25, May 31, June 3-5) please contact email@example.com.
(1) Work in Progress – a live work-shopping of “Burt and Abbie” by local playwright Libby Heily.
(2) New Work – “After the Fall” by NC playwright Marilynn Anselmi.
Both plays will be performed as staged readings (on-book).
A copy of each script is available starting 5/3 in the Cary Arts Center 2nd-floor conference room bookcase (look for the CPF shelf, behind a sheet of paper affixed to the glass). You must NOT take the scripts out of the building, and please return them when done.
“Burt and Abbie” character breakdown: Directed by Marina Enslen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Burt – Man, early 50’s. Burt is a lonely man who mysteriously lost his wife and daughter.
- Crystal – Young woman, 16 or 17. Recovering from a break-up with her unfaithful boyfriend, Crystal befriends Burt in a local ice cream parlor and decides to go home with him. She is smart, perceptive, and tough, but a still a little bit naïve.
- Abbie – Crystal’s mother. Single mom raising a teenage girl. Enough said.
Actors cast in “Burt and Abbie” must be available on the following dates: 5/19, 5/25, 5/31, 6/3, and 6/5
“After the Fall” character breakdown: Directed by Greg Guilano, email@example.com
- Maree – 30ish, oldest daughter of Ruth and Daddy. Returning home from the city to attend her sister’s funeral. No patience to put up with lies or unnecessary social propriety. Distance from her family for many years has removed any patience for them that she once had.
- Ruth – 60ish, mother of Maree and Donee. Trying to keep the image & memory of her family intact while Maree visits for Donee’s funeral. Caretaker for Donald/Daddy.
- Daddy – 60ish, father of Maree and Donee, married to Ruth. Former doctor, stroke victim. Prideful but the type to hide what might embarrass him rather than bring it out to the light. Hates having to admit he needs help.
- Chrissy – 30ish, runs her own dog grooming business, former fiancee of Donee. Down to earth, slightly new-agey. At the funeral out of respect for Donee, tries to stay out of the infighting.
Actors cast in “After the Fall” must be available on the following dates: 5/17, 6/1, 6/4, and 6/5
Join our mailing list to be informed of future auditions!